Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Maybe I should indulge my horse's maternal desires


Every so often, I email the very nice lady from whom we bought Hope. I sent her an email this week with a picture of Hope watching over the new foal at the farm and asked her if Hope had ever had any foals. J told me that yes, she's had one foal, before she bought Hope. The people she bought Hope from were in the process of negotiating that sale as well, and supposedly sold the cold for $40,000. No, my fingers didn't stutter. Forty-fucking-thousand dollars. Da-yum! That kind of money is enough to make me rethink my stance on exploiting my horse's uterus.

Of course, I don't have a clue who Hope was bred to, I'm not a trainer, and not going to allow any foals she might have in the future to be trained in the "Big Lick" Walking Horse world. And "Big Lick" people are the only ones who are going to drop $40,000 on a Walking Horse colt. Of course, there is still the biggest reason of all: if we breed her, it will be because we want the foal, and I'm not going to be willing to sell it. So, no exploitations here. But $40,000 is enough to make me fantasize anyway.

No comments: