Saturday, May 16, 2009

Are we married, or not?

It seems that the manwhore's employer wants to see proof of our marriage so that I can stay on his health insurance plan. Something about saving money. Just a copy of your marriage certificate, they said. Ok, we said. So, we started looking for it. After going through files of 15 yr old bank statements, even older traffic tickets (his, not mine), old research papers and college notes, we haven't managed to find hide nor hair of a marriage certificate.

Neither one of us can actually remember getting one or sending off for it when we got back from our honeymoon. But I somehow managed to change my name on my Social Security card, and I do remember having to show them some proof that we were married. You would think that proof would have been a marriage certificate. I don't know what we showed to the human resources people way back then, either. Maybe they didn't ask. But if we had a copy of our marriage certificate, it has disappeared into the black hole of missing things, likely to never be seen again.

Fortunately for me, the State of Alabama seems to be lackadaisical about who they give them out to, so long as the person has all the right info. So, I've sweet talked my mother into going to get us one on Mon. If she fails in this task, I will have to make the trip down there and get it myself, which I really don't want to do. So much easier to have Mother to it for me and stick it in the mail.

But, are we married without the proof? Maybe. Maybe the kids are proof enough. That and the ball and chain around his ankle...

3 comments:

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Arrrrrgh! I know that feeling---it can be so frustrating when you need some type of paperwork and it is nowhere to be found, even though it's something you really SHOULD have kept track of. Not only does the lack of paperwork cause trouble but you can get v. frustrated with yourself for misplacing it. Good luck, and I hope you don't have to get remarried in the immediate future!

Amanda said...

That would be funny. Head to the JP to get remarried.
"Hi, we want to get married again!"
"Are you divorced and want to remarry?"
"Oh no, we're already married but can't find the paperwork to prove it, so we need to get remarried."
"I'm not sure that's legal..."

DCAja said...

thanks!
kip