Monday, June 04, 2007

I love toddlers

So far, with all of my children, the toddler years have been my favorite. You aren't totally exhausted as a parent by this point because you are getting more sleep. And kids are just exploding with development. It is amazing to watch their little brains. It is almost like they are growing right before your eyes. The boychild is coming out with words, phrases and sentences left and right. Things we've never heard him say before, and he will say them plain as day. Friday night, MIL came and babysat and he ran up to her and said "Hi Grandma!" He's never even tried to say Grandma before, and out it came, plain as day. Also appearing this week have been "all gone," "I don't know," "watch this!" and countless others. It is so much fun!

Speaking of Fri, the manwhore surprised me with tickets to Cirque du Soleil. We went downtown to eat and just picked a place. The was Morton's Steakhouse, and dh knew it was expensive, but I was totally unprepared for the $$. It cost us $150, with the tip. I was about to choke as I signed the CC slip. They had bottles of wine on their wine list that were $1000+. Needless to say, we laughed and passed on those.
Even worse than the prices were the portion sizes. The smallest steak on their menu was 16 oz. Oh, wait, I forgot about the 8oz, $28 filet. I made dh split a steak with me, though, because I refused to pay that much for a hunk of meat. They even have a 48 oz steak, at a price of $90. The waitress said that was the steak that people generally split, but that is still 1.5 lbs of meat per person. Waaaaaaaaay more than anyone needs to eat.
But, it was good. Just shockingly expensive.

And, I will confess to being a bit disappointed by Cirque du Soleil. I have seen them before, in Vegas 11 yrs ago and sat through that show with my mouth hanging open. This one was boring in places. It had a lot of singing, and some of the singers weren't that good. I know people who aren't pros and getting paid who knows what to sing who can sing better than that. You know who you are.
So, too much singing, and not enough acrobatics. But the people around me were saying that the show was amazing.

I know I wasn't the only one that wasn't overwhelmingly impressed, because someone booed them after one act. I was shocked and embarrassed because they weren't that bad. Just polite applause bad. I felt like they would think Nashville is nothing but a bunch of rednecks because they got booed. Oh well, maybe they'll improve their next show.

Still, it was a date and a night out without kids, so it was all good.

1 comment:

AutumnZ said...

Baby, only you could talk about toddlerhood and cirque de soliel in the same post. Gotta love the well rounded woman!