Thursday, March 19, 2009

Clearly I am the vision of a delicate flower of frail feminity today.

I stopped by Home Depot to buy some play sand for the kids' sandbox. HD employees are a little overly helpful in general. When I'm in a funk and just enjoying roaming around the store, it gets annoying having every person in an orange vest asking me if I need help finding something. Ironically, it usually never fails that when I actually do need help finding something, there isn't an orange vest to be seen. But I digress.
Today, I was after play sand, which comes in 50 lbs bags. Not light, but hey, one of my kids weighs almost that much and I can pick her up, as well as feed bags, hay and the like. I was picking up my third bag when a lady rushed up offering to help. She wasn't even an employee, as she wasn't clad in orange. I told her several times that I didn't really need help, all the while thinking it was really easier to do it myself. She watched me put it in the cart and walked away saying "Oh wow, those are heavy, wow."
Pushed my cart to the register and the lady there asked me twice if I needed help out. On the way out the door, another employee, male this time, told me to just pull my car up and he'd load it for me. When I said no thanks, he asked me twice if I was sure and "it would be no problem, ma'am."

By the time I got out of the store, I was ready to scream "I can fucking pick it up all by myself!" Because I'm ladylike like that.

2 comments:

AutumnZ said...

See, now that is a difference between the two of us. I love to play the delicate Southern flower and let people do things for me.

Then I kick major ass when it needs to be kicked.

Gregory said...

I love Vivien Leigh in both her weak and strong Southern incarnations:

1.) Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire
and
2.) Scarlet O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.

Preach!