Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Give a child a Clorox wipe and she'll clean the bathroom

I have been observing the incredible phenomenon that, in my daughters' kindergarten class, that the kids actually enjoy the privilege of cleaning up at the end of the day. The teacher gives them a cleaning wipe and the two kids whose turn it is just go to town and do a fairly good job.

Last week, I succumbed to the lure of anti-bacterial and anti-viral Clorox wipes and bought some to try and stem the spread of germs around here. So far, it isn't helping. But, upon noticing the kids' bathroom sink full of toothpaste spit once again and the general yuckiness of the room, I had the brilliant idea of telling the girls they were now in charge of cleaning their bathroom. After all, I don't use that bathroom, ever. Why should I clean it? I'm not the maid, after all. She quit, or never started or something.

So, I got the Clorox wipes and told the girls to have at it. I vacuumed the floor and put something non-caustic inside the toilet, but they did the rest, even cleaning the floor with the wipes and cleaning the toilet. I was completely impressed and THEY THOUGHT IT WAS FUN!!!!! They want to do it again! I no longer care that cleaning wipes are overpriced and wasteful. I don't have to clean the bathroom anymore!!!!! I bet they'll even clean the bathroom downstairs, too, since they think it is so much fun.

The maid has left the building!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know. . it is amazing. Maddie begs to get one if I get them out. . she will wipe down the whole house if I let her.

Giving up my clorox wipes is one thing that I can't bring myself to do. . .

Jennifer said...

Yeah, we totally need to keep each other motivated. We can do it! lol

It is something about the winter. . I can't get motivated to do anything. Glad it is almost over. . My car was yellow with pollen today! It is killing my allergies, but it means spring is springing!!