Thursday, November 08, 2007

The evilness of hiding veggies in your kids' food

I am way too excited about this, quite frankly. This week, my kids have eaten pumpkin and spinach and didn't complain. Of course they didn't know they were eating it, but still.

The pumpkin was pureed and went into mac and cheese. Disgusting, you say? Not at all. I swear to your favorite deity that you could not taste it. This was fresh pumpkin, steamed and pureed, so it was the same bright orange as Kraft Mac and Cheese. Yes, I suck doubly because I not only fed my kids mac and cheese out of a box, with the powdered cheese no less, I put pumpkin in it. They ate it, though.
The suggestion I have seen for that calls for butternut squash, and if you wanted to go with canned (or liked jarred baby food squash) I would say that would work better, because canned pumpkin is dark and not bright powdered cheese orange.

In a slightly less sneaky meal, I made stuffed shells and put chopped, cooked spinach in the cheese stuffing. The snarfed it up. Especially Ellie, and she is usually my pickier eater. And since the manwhore has a hate on for cheese, he got his stuffed with sausage and spinach and he liked it, too.

Sneaky and evil or not, I am delighted to see my children getting a vitamin or two that didn't come in the form of a gummy vite. I wonder what else I can puree?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

There is a WONDERFUL cookbook that you need to buy.. NOW. . lol It is called deceptively Delicious . . and it is all about sneaking pureed veggies into food. . even brownies with spinach. . lol. . But I hear it is amazing. . I looked at the book today at mom's morning, and I am thinking of buying it. . someone brought the brownies, and I swear on my favorite deity that you couldnt taste the spinach. .ha ha. . here is a link to it at amazon. . I am going to invest. . lol.. .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061251348/bookstorenow16-20

Jennifer said...

okay since that link was too long and it cut it off here is the link to the actual website. . you should check it out.

http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

Amanda said...

Is that Julia, Jennifer, J-something Seinfeld's book? That's where I got the idea. lol I don't have the book, but saw an interview with her somewhere.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, that is her. . the book is really cool. . we were passing it around at mom's morning, and some of the stuff that was hidden into stuff I would have never thought about adding. It has all kinds of easy recipes, and a ton of crap that kids like. I think after the holiday's settle down, and I am back into a cooking routine, I am going to get it.