Monday, July 14, 2008

Buying local produce

We went to the Farmers' Market Sat to see if we could stock up on local produce for the week. We did, but I was actually a little surprised at how little is in season in middle TN right now. Clearly, I have not gardened. There were tons of cantaloupe, watermelons, blackberries and blueberries, tomatoes in more varieties than I knew existed, squash and zucchini, eggplant, greens, cucumbers and green beans. And not many of the booths had green beans. And many of the farmers had peaches from the Carolinas.

Sounds yummy, right? I think so, too. Only no one in my family but me eats squash, eggplant or greens and the kids don't like green beans. They don't like blackberries or blueberries, either.

I was surprised at the lack of other melon varieties, too, but I suppose those are the best sellers. I know that broccoli and lettuces are cool weather crops, brussle sprouts, too. But I was expecting to see lima beans and butter beans, etc

We did stock up on fruit and some squash. And prices were a little cheaper than the grocery store, so we'll try to make it as weekly a trip if we can to try and save a little money. Besides, the peaches and tomatoes we've eaten already have been to die for. Yum, yum!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was going to do the whole "buy local" thing too. . I am sick of not knowing what country my produce is coming from. . a friend of mine went to the farmer's market here last weekend and she said there was little to no selection here either. lots of watermelon, cantaloupe, potatoes, and corn. And she said it was REALLY expensive. And when they got home and cut the watermelon it was full of roots, and the cantaloupe wasn't edible either. I am sad. I really wanted to start going. I am going to go next week and just check it out though. Just sucks.

Amanda said...

You might look around for roadside stands, too.

Also, you might look for what is called a CSA. Community Supported Agriculture. It's probably too late to sign up this year (it is here) but basically you sign up to get local produce straight from the farm. The one I've looked into here is $700 for 6 months of fresh produce. I probably spend that in 6 weeks at the grocery store! I am bound and damned determined that we will sign up next year.

Also, you are pretty close to Savanna, too, so I would check there for a Farmers' Market.

Jennifer said...

yeah thanks, I will look into that. Savannah is a little far to drive to just to get produce, but if we are ever down there for another reason I will check it out. There are a few roadside places here, but most of them only have watermelons and tomatoes. I think this is the watermelon capital of the world . .lol.