Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'd like to thank my mother

And all the little people. Not really, I'd just like to thank my mother. Apparently she had some genetic mutation that the rest of the family doesn't have and passed it on to me. What kind of mutation, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Last Saturday night, we were having a family party for my great aunt's and uncle's 60th anniversary, and most of us women were standing around yapping and the talk turned to my youngest aunt and her plans to have a hysterectomy. And I find out my 35 yr old cousin is planning a hysterectomy, and her 11 yr old niece has periods that leave her anemic, and my 17 yr old cousin has horrible periods. And around the circle it went with every woman in the family talking about the horrible cramps and floods of blood and what not. Even the women who married into the family.

Everyone except my mother and I. No cramps, no days of soaking a super tampon every hour, no counting down the days until we can get our uterus cut out.

I have had problems with my periods, but for me it is a weight issue. If I stay under a certain weight, I never have problems. So, I can't put myself in the same category with the rest of them that every period is filled with misery.

So, thank you, Mother, for what ever happened to make us different.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I got the curse from my mom. . I used to have to miss school on the first day of my period every month because I was in so much pain. . the dr gave me rx pain meds. Still the same. . it got a little better when I was on bc. . but not enough to matter. I dread it every month. Oh to be normal!! I have often entertained the thought of cutting it all out with a steak knife. I am sure I will be in line waiting for my hysterectomy after I am finished having kids. :[

Maritzia said...

You are so incredibly lucky. It used to drive me crazy to talk to women who think a heavy period is going through 3 or 4 tampons in a day. It took me 10 years and finally my hemoglobin going down to 8 to get the doctors to do a hysterectomy. In this world of unscrupulous doctors doing unnecessary hysterectomies, and I couldn't find one of them! *laughs* Because I never had children, they were all afraid that as I approached 40 I'd suddenly wake up and decide I wanted to procreate. *sighs* They never believe you when you say you *don't want children...ever*.