Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Things that make me odd

Or a little bit strange anyway, at least amongst my friends and family.

1. I recycle, like everything I can. Tons of plastic, glass, grocery sacks.

2. I use cloth bags for shopping (when I don't go off and forget them) to cut down on the plastic bags I use.

3. I wash ziploc bags and reuse them.

4. I don't use paper towels or paper plates (making that even more odd, I haven't yet given up paper napkins and I used disposable diapers with my kids.)

5. I make my own laundry detergent.

6. We eat almost no processed food, and what little we do eat is as minimally processed as possible. If I can't pronounce the ingredients, we don't eat it. We avoid things with artificial colors, too.

7. I pick up litter when I see it, and so do my kids.

8. We're planning to change out the lightbulbs to CFLs, but we haven't had a bulb to burn out in forever.

I'm sure there are other things, but I won't mention them here. I am quiet comfortable with my oddities and like myself because of them. I think they make me who I am and possibly even a bit more interesting.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't think you are weird! (well at least not for those reasons! lol)
*I too recycle as much as I can
*I get paper bags when I grocery shop and then recycle them
*I am going to use cloth diapers with my next kid (or at least try, and I am going to breastfeed. :])
*I don't wash ziploc bags, but I hardly ever use them
*I use paper towels, but not paper plates or napkins.
*How do you make your own laundry detergent? That is cool
* I need to cut back on the processed foods. . but we do avoid all artificial colors because we determined that maddison is sensitive to Red #40)
*I pick up litter too!
*Almost all of the bulbs in our house are CFL & we don't even pay the electric bill :]

*I try to lump all of my running around into one trip so I save on driving and gas.

*And I am trying to eat as organically as possible now, but it is hard to do on our budget.

So does all that make me weird too??

Amanda said...

Well, there is plenty is more that makes me weird, but we can be weird together. My in-laws have laughed at me about the ziploc baggie thing, and mother and Nanny both sigh at me over the paper towels and paper plates.

I really regret not cloth diapering, especially with Sam, as I really had no excuse but laziness. Besides, cloth dipes are really cute.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

We're changing to CFLs too but we have this one crazy lamp that burns them out! I suppose I should replace it...

We use plastic grocery store bags as garbage bags and only have to buy garbage bags for the one big can in the house. But I also use fabric bags when I remember.

Jody W.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, there are a lot of people around here who have "cloth diaper parties" lol, and I have looked at a lot of their stuff and they are really really cute. Brandon is not keen on the whole idea yet, but by the time we have another kid I think I can sell him on them. I would probably still used disposables when we went places, but I dunno. I am willing to give it a try. Not to mention all the money I would save. lol.

I miss you guys! You should come visit! lol

AutumnZ said...

I think it's wonderful. You are very Green. I wash ziploc bags too :-)