Thursday, September 25, 2008

Short girl + big horse

= holy shit it's a long way up there and it's a long way down. D and I have decided that I'm just lacking in enough riding skills and confidence (mostly confidence) to ride Taco, who is my buddy. He's a love, but he likes to go fast. I'm not ready for fast.

So, she put me on Random today. Random is a 16 hand quarter horse mare that used to be a hunter/jumper. 1 hand = 4 inches. 16 hands is about 5 1/2 ft. So, as measured from her back, Random is about 5 1/2 ft tall. I'm only 5'2". Her back is taller than my head.

I stood on the ground and thought, holy crap, how am I ever going to get up there? But I did, and D said that I have beautiful posture when riding. My position is almost perfect. But, she can tell I'm not relaxed. And I'll be riding Miss Big and Pokey for a while.

So, I'm sitting up there thinking, holy crap, now I've got to get down. I swing my leg over and start sliding down. And I just keep on sliding. The ground really was a long way away. lol

I'll get there. I know I will. But it's amazing how confident I can be on the ground and still be so nervous in the saddle.

No comments: