Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Someone give me a hole to crawl in.

And make it big enough for me to take my children. Today, amidst the fun of their first field trip and returning library books and practicing their letters, my children had a lockdown drill at school. A threat drill, they said.
What do you do during a threat drill? asked I.
Everybody goes into the bathroom and you leave the light off and stay completely quiet. Mrs. D stands with the door cracked just a little bit so she can see, Em told me.
Why do you do this? I ask.
If there is a stranger in the school that might hurt us, was the horrifying response.

My babies are practicing lockdown drills. I want to weep that our society has reached the point where this is even necessary. I mean, I'm glad they are doing it, I think. But I wish it weren't needed. I wish that no one had ever walked into a school with a gun or a bomb and hurt people and that schools were still thought of as a safe place for children to be. They are safe, I think, still, but we have to face the possibility that at some point, it might not be. And I have to trust their teacher and other adults that I don't know to keep my children safe from gunmen and bombers or other psychos that might take a notion to roam around their school.

Fortunately their school seems fairly safe in terms of people being able to get in, and the classrooms on the kindy wing all have doors to the outside, so they at least have an escape route.
But bloody fucking hell, lockdown drills.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

scary. . I know. . we even had to do these when I was still in high school. . what has the world come to?

AutumnZ said...

Right there with you. My kids came home the other day telling me about this. They all crammed themselves under the teacher's desk. All 18 of them?

What a mess!

Amanda said...

While I think the likely hood of their ever being a real lockdown at their school is slim, I am glad they at least have a bathroom in the classroom to hide in. The upper grades don't have that option.
And, the classrooms on the kindy wing all have doors leading to the outside, too, so they have an escape route, too.

Jennifer, I want to know how the hell they lockdown BHS? The classrooms don't have doors and where would you hide?

Jennifer said...

most of the teachers had an office in their classroom, or at least a storage closet. . and we had to get in there and they would lock the door. . yeah. . sucky. And we had over 100 bomb threats in my 4 years there. . then we evacuated to the football field or the baseball field. . it was sad. . if something serious would have ever happened there it would have been mass chaos.

Jennifer said...

oh yeah. . and they did add doors to most of the classrooms. . something about the state required it or some crap. .

Amanda said...

Yeah, I forgot about the teachers having offices.

That is fucked up about the bomb threats. There wasn't even a suggestion of one the entire time Jamey or I were in school.