Monday, January 14, 2008

If you hear a crash from your closet

You would do well to hope it is the skeletons trying to escape or some gay person trying to come out. That would be much easier to deal with than the crash in our closet this weekend. Apparently the hooks that hold up the shelving were feeling their age, and they all broke on one side. Only the top shelf right up at the ceiling that holds the manwhore's hat collection didn't fall. All of my clothes and all of his clothes in the floor and spilling out into our room.

So, we went to one of the big home improvement stores yesterday and drooled over closet systems. In the end, I declared that it would be foolish to buy a whole new shelf system when we could just replace the hooks on the one we have. So, we did, and added some stackable shelves, a shoe organizer, and a set of drawers. Our closet is now neater than the bedroom. We can actually walk in there, all the way to the back wall, for the first time in years.

I think part of my spring cleaning will be to clean off the top shelves and organize up there. We have so little storage space in this house that we really shouldn't waste what we've got.

To inject a bit of humor, while vacuuming the floor, I pushed back the hanging clothes on the other side and say something brown and fuzzy moving against the wall. I jumped about a foot and was on the verge of screaming and running when I realized it was just the tail to the manwhore' Cowardly Lion costume. Why does he have a Cowardly Lion costume you ask? Well, it involves work and a Halloween contest...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kid you not...I keep a keen ear tuned to my closet in anticipation of just such an event. No manwhore hat collection on top...just an assortment of old sweaters that were even a faux pas in the 80's. I should just let the cats pee on them and believe me, then there would be no argument regarding their future at the House in the Forest.

AutumnZ said...

A hat collection and a Cowardly Lion costume? God love him.

Ichabod said...

The Tin Man is my favorite. I found a coat in our closet today, and when I felt in the pockets I found.......ticket stubs from the year 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I shouldn't put off that Spring cleaning...