Friday, January 09, 2009

Proud mommy brag warning!

I have several things to brag about all at once.

Report cards came home yesterday, and of course my little angels did very well. They don't get grades, but check marks on skill accomplished and they both got all of their skills checked off. Yay!

And, in our district, kindy students have to be able to read a list of 100 sight words at the end of the year to pass to 1st grade. Mrs. S. tested the class on them in Dec to see where they are. Emma knew all 100 words (not surprising because she is freaking reading up a storm) and Ellie only missed 17 of them (and her reading is improving daily)! Yay for my little smarties!

And, we went to the Y to swim last night and got stopped by a lifeguard who told us that the rules for the pool had changed and all kids under 13 had to be swim tested before they could get in the water. Two of the lifeguards told us that they knew our kids could do it, it was just a formality for us.
The swim test was to jump in (could not sit down on the edge and slide in) the lap pool at the deep in where it is 10 ft deep (!!) and swim all the way to the other end without touching the side. Both girls looked at the bottom of the deep end and were really nervous. (And I totally understand, because I'm an adult and I know that water is nearly 5 ft deeper than the top of my head and I've never been in the lap pool because of that.) The lifeguard let the manwhore get in the pool with them and with a little encouragement, they both jumped in and swam all the way to the other end of the pool and passed the test.
I'm really proud of them for that, because the lap pool is long and I'm not totally sure I could swim the entire thing without stopping for breath. But I'm fat and out of shape and my kids are neither.

So, yay for report cards and swimming tests!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Aw yay for them! Of course they are smart. . they didn't have a chance!! ;]