Monday, April 30, 2007

Coitus disappointus

We spent the weekend car shopping. Well, van shopping to be exact. The manwhore has decided that our van has too many miles on it and is too small, so a shopping we will go. He had done his research online and narrowed it down to a couple of vans at Driver's Way. Except, the one he really wanted was a silver Dodge Grand Caravan at the DW in Pehlam, AL. But we can go to the one here and look at the same model and test drive one and all that, and if we like it, have the other one transfered up. So, we do all that and we test drove a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan yesterday. White with a lovely leather interior and all the bells and whistles, except a dvd player.

I like it. In fact, I love it. I want it. We have a leather interior now, and it is so easy to keep clean. A little swipe of saddle soap and it is as good as new. Cloth has to be cleaned. Wugh. And I really don't care about the dvd player. We've made 2 trips to the beach and one up the Eastern Seaboard to Maryland with our kids, all without a dvd player and they have been fine and dandy. So, I really could care less about one.

We test drove it for too long, I think. We should have just done a quick up and down the street. Instead, I decided to take it out on the interstate. I drove it down two exits and was going to make a loop back to DW when the manwhore pipes up and jokingly says "We could just drive on home from here and see if it fits in the garage."
"We could," says I. "Do you really want too?"
"Um. Yes. I really want to see if it will fit in the garage."
"Ok. Home it is."
We ended up spending about 2 hours driving the white van. Much too long. Long enough to be emotionally invested in it.

But, the clincher is that the one we test drove is $2500 more than the one in Pelham, partly because of all the bells and whistles and partly because the one in Pelham is from Louisiana. It seems there is a stigma on cars from there and they have a hard time selling, so the DW in Pelham has really reduced the price of this van until it is really a steal. They guarantee it hasn't been flooded. lol And that price difference pushes the white one out of our price range. And it is foolish to pay that much more for a van just because I want leather seats. I agree with all of this.

But, it doesn't help the fact that I am totally in love with this van, and I am very afraid I'm going to be totally disappointed in the silver one. Like, afraid I'm going to cry disappointed.

It's like I've already started this lovely love affair with the white van and during the middle of it, I'm being switched to an unknown and possibly disappointing lover. Le sigh.

We'll see. The silver one should be here tomorrow. I wait with bated breath.

2 comments:

AutumnZ said...

Well, look at it this way. Let's say you pay an extra $40 a month for the one you REALLY want. It doesn't look so bad that way, does it? And you need leather, because of the little ones. I was cleaning my car the other day and actually found MAGGOTS! I KID YOU NOT! MAGGOTS! How in hell did they get there, you ask? I'll just say Burger King + busy mom = forgot to check for meat crumbs under the booster seat. I have never been more grateful for leather seats!

Amanda said...

That's disgusting. rofl I've never found anything that bad, but I've found rotten apples before.