Thursday, August 07, 2008

6 years

It's gone by so fast, I just want to stop time for a while. Six years ago tonight, I was in preterm labor with the girls, terrified out of my mind for them. El was born at 12:31 AM and Em at 12:44 AM, Aug 8, 2002.
I won't go into the details again, but I was thinking earlier today how funny it is that the 6 weeks I spent on bed rest seemed like an eternity, and the 6 years of their lives have flown by.

When you have premature babies, once you are confident that they are actually going to live, their health is fine and all that, then you start to wonder what being premature has done to their intellectual development. Or at least I did. Today, I think I'm finally convinced that their brains are working just fine. They had their kindy screening this morning and when they were done, both teachers sat me down to tell me how they did. An average score is 100. A really high score is over 120. Em scored 130 and El 122. They had sections of their tests that they had perfect scores on. El copied all the little line drawings perfectly, including the one the teacher said none of the kids ever get (a heart, who knew a heart was so hard to draw?).

I know it is just a screening for kindy placement, but still, I'm about to burst with mama pride.

3 comments:

justbeingniecey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AutumnZ said...

Happy Birthday to your grown up girls :-)As for you, do something special for yourself today. You worked hard to get them here.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Girls!!!! Geeze, I can't believe it has been 6 years. Where has the time gone?