Tuesday, August 19, 2008

School supplies

I'm starting to hate this part of back to school and this is only the second year I've done it. We got the basic list off of the school website a few weeks ago so we could shop during the tax free weekend. We got most of it at the hellhole that is WalMart, since we were at Mother's that weekend and Target wasn't handy, but spent less than $40 for both kids, so I was happy. We were only missing two things from the list because they were out.

I managed to find the watercolors at the grocery store. But I spent three weeks looking for motherfucking construction paper and just today found some at another WalMart. It is the crappy Rose Art stuff, but the teacher can just deal with it.

Now we knew that once we met the teacher, she would have a specific list for her class, and she did. We met the teacher last Thursday night and the girls started school on Monday (the boys in the class started on Fri). Not a lot of time to gather up the rest of the supplies. Target is still out of construction paper, was out of the binders that she wanted until yesterday and had nothing at all like the binder pocket or the composition journal that the teacher wanted. Apparently, she shops at WalMart and didn't bother to make sure that the pocket and the journal were carried any where else. I suppose she just assumed that being name brand stuff, they would be easy to find, but she was badly mistaken.

I ended up making a special trip to WalMart today just to look for the damned journal and binder pocket. No journals and I bought the last two pockets that they had. And I almost forgot to look for them.

Forunately, two other parents found the journals somewhere and bought a bunch of them for the class. All I have to do is send in some money to pay for them, much to my delight.

I'm rather hoping that the teachers have learned that if all 7 kindy teachers at one school are going to ask for the same journal, that it would be better for them to just order them theirselves and then make the parents pay them back. Because I've sure as hell spent more than $2.70, or even the $5.40 for two of them in gas from driving hither and yon looking for the damned things.

2 comments:

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Does your school system offer the opportunity to have your supplies, ah, supplied by the school? Ours does and I'm GLAD. The one time we tried it ourselves, we couldn't find half the stuff on the list anywhere (like a 10 pack of round top markers in the Crayola brand, as opposed to an 8 or 12 pack).

JW

Kristin Joy said...

Good going..! When September rolls around, parents all across the country gleefully take to the stores, loading up their carts with all the school supplies.