Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A really cool evening

I'm sure that this was just one of many cool evenings in my life to come as a writer, but it was a really cool one in my life so far. I realize that it possibly marks me as some sort of antisocial dork that I think so, but oh well.

Last night, while the manwhore and spawn were at home noshing on Domino's pizza, I was sitting in a restaurant in Nashville sipping enjoying a pomegranate cosmopolitan and crab cakes whilst literally rubbing elbows with the senior editor from a certain publishing company. Across the table was the owner of said publishing company and also at the table was a lovely lady who I think she said was the marketing director (I blame the pom cosmo and noise for not catching her exact title). Rubbing elbows around the rest of the table were a half dozen other romance writers, published and unpublished alike.

After a long leisurely dinner, we all met up at the Parthenon (yes, there are two of them in the world, one of them in Nashville) where Sherrilyn Kenyon was hosting a launch party for her latest book. You know you have arrived when you have book signings in the Parthenon at the foot of a 20 ft tall statue of Athena. Actually, she probably knew she had arrived when she saw the size of her advances, but I digress. She is big in the vampire romance genre, so there were people walking around in costumes, some vapirish, some just goth, and some Greek in honor of the location. There was a live band, dessert goodies from the Melting Pot and at least 500+ people there, including editors, romance bloggers and the ilke. I didn't drag my ass home until about 11:30PM.

All in all, a very cool evening (even if it was freaking hot outside and like an oven in the Partenon).

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Uh oh. . look at you!

AutumnZ said...

Cool! Cool! How did you get to go to that? Invite me next time, please :-)

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Did you hear Sherri continued signing books on the lawn after midnight when she got kicked out of the Parthenon??

Jody W.