Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My first rejection letter

Finally, after nearly 6 months, I heard back from Harlequin. An "I'm so sorry to tell you that your story isn't what we are looking for" letter. It was very nice, wasn't even a form letter, but an actual letter with helpful criticism (my conflict isn't strong enough), and an actual signature from an editor. It could have been worse. Definitely not bad for a first rejection letter.

The manwhore was watching me all excited while I read it asking "Well?" I had to tell him, "Oh honey, if it is a letter, it isn't good news. They call you on the phone for the good news."

Onwards and upwards, I suppose.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

"Those who are fired with an enthusiastic idea and who allow it to take hold and dominate their thoughts find that new worlds open for them. As long as enthusiasm holds out, so will new opportunities."

AutumnZ said...

Aaw, man. Don't give up. All the greats get rejected at first. Dr. Seuss, JK Rowling.

Do you have an agent?

Amanda said...

Nope, no agent, either. I haven't even submitted anything to an agent. It would be nice to make some sales and only have to split the money with Uncle Sam for a while, first. lol

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Time to start the rejection binder! I used a huge 3 ring binder...and I filled it up before I had anything besides rejections to add. Hopefully your binder will be smaller :)