Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's always humbling to realize you aren't right

I swear, my poor besainted mother has "The shrink is IN" tattooed in invisible ink across her forehead. That's what she gets for having degrees in psychology and counseling, I suppose.

Anyway, apparently dh and I both unloaded on her this weekend. For me to unload on her is nothing new. I was surprised that the manwhore did so. Apparently he needed to talk and she has a way of magically making people talk. Both of us are still stressed and stressing about the crap that is going on with his parents. His dad didn't show up for the girls' birthday, with the lame excuse offered by MIL that he wasn't feeling well. Maybe not. Who knows? But honestly, at this point, I pretty much don't believe her. Personally, I could give a rat's ass if I never laid eyes on the man again, but it is breaking the manwhore's manly heart, and the kids noticed he wasn't there, as well.

So, we were both tense and probably snippy. And we'd had a really stupid fight earlier in the week, adding to the tense and snippy. We've both realized we aren't always the greatest about communicating. I mean, I just found out after nearly 8 yrs of marriage that the manwhore can't stand the feel of wet clothing. (Hence the stupid fight. I sprayed him with the hose and he got mad.) I've also had the realization that likely my perception that he overreacts when he is mad is just that, my perception. Mother pointed out to me that I don't really have a good role model for male emotions. My dad just doesn't get mad, or sad, or much at all. Maybe he's part Vulcan. So, when the manwhore gets mad, I immediately make the jump that he is acting like his dad and going too far.

We stayed up until 3am Sat night talking about it all, after we had both worn Mother's ears out. But, it needed to be said and hopefully things will be easier. Honestly, as marriage problems go, ours are pretty minor, but a marriage can always be made better with a little understanding and communication skills.

As for me, I hate to not be right. But, I was not right about this. See, I don't even like to say that other word. Wrong. I was wrong! Argh! I clearly don't know how to judge anger. I will work on this. And then I will be right about stuff again. lol

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

your mom's the greatest! :] She is one of the people in the family that I miss most (and you too of course. . lol).