Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ohhhhhmmmmmm.....OW!

There is nothing like ending a yoga class with someone having to call 911. Not me, and not one of my classmates, though. There is a running track that passes around the outside of the Y and beside the classroom. We were finishing up class on Sun when we heard kids running (which was fine, it is a track to run on) then WHAM! THUD! AHHHHH! OOOWWWW!!! So, our instructor jumps up and runs to see what happened. She forgot her mic was still on and said "Oh my god! Oh my god!" which of course came through the speakers loud and clear.

Well, that got the entire class to jump and run. I happened to be closest to the door and got there first. There was a boy, abotu 10 or so, who had lost it in the curve and busted it face first into the wall, right on a corner over a balcony. Actually, when Sandi yelled "Oh my god!" I thought someone had gone over the balcony.

The kid wasn't over the balcony, but he had hit, bounced, spun, hit the floor and was all contorted on the floor. We rolled him over and the first thing I did was to kneel by his head and hold his head still. Fuck if I know how he could have broken his neck, but you never know.

Apparently I looked like I knew what I was doing because another lady from the class sat down and asked if I was a nurse. Nope. Just cool in a crisis unless it is my kid. But she was a nurse, so I just held his head while she checked him out.

I did have to tell Sandi to go call 911, though, just to let the EMTs check him out.

The kid walked out of the Y under his own steam and was probably sore and had a hellacious headache yesterday. I do hope that his babysitter (mom was out of town) took him on the the ER to get him checked just in case. He hit his head pretty damned hard, not once but twice.

Poor kid.

1 comment:

AutumnZ said...

I have never pictured you as a nurse, but now that I have that image in my head, I can see it. You would be compassionate, yet would take no bullshit from either patients or doctors.