Wednesday, November 05, 2008

So, who did you vote for?

Did you vote for a black man? Because I sure as hell didn't.

I voted for the American people. I voted for the 17 million working Americans who don't have health care.

I voted for our planet, for our environment, for the push towards a greener future.

I voted for our economy because trickle down economics (thanks Ronnie Reagan!) doesn't work. I voted for the poor who are getting poorer.

I voted for the servicemen and women who are involved in a war that was based on lies, that are being killed in a country where they aren't wanted. I voted for them to come home, to live to fight another day for a cause that is just, a cause that is actually worth dying for, not for a battle that has been being fought between desert tribes for hundreds of years.

I voted for my children and their future. I voted for their educations, their health, their planet, their security.

I voted for hope, because for the first time in my adult life, I have actually been afraid. Afraid of unemployment and of losing my home, of not being able to afford health care.

I voted because I think that a woman's health care decisions are between her and her doctor, not her and the voters (and because I know that the GOP has no intentions of actually doing anything about Roe v. Wade, its just rhetoric.)

I voted because I don't give a rat's ass if you worship god, Buddha, Zoroaster, Mother Nature or the Flying Spaghetti Monster and no one should have the right to tell anyone what is moral or not.

I voted for change because I was truly afraid where this country is going.

I did not vote for a Muslim. I did not vote for a person who is not a citizen. I did not vote for a person who refuses to say the Pledge. I did not vote for a person who won't produce a birth certificate. I did not vote for a person who's education was paid for by terrorists. (Seriously, haven't you people heard of Snopes.com?)

I voted for Barack Hussein Obama, not because he is a black man, but because he is a man that I can believe in. Because the hope on the faces of children who can look and him and believe that they, too, can grow up to do great things for their country gave me hope.

History was going to be made either way this election went. I am simply glad that history was made in a way that I am proud of, in a way that I believe in. Because yes, we can make history in America still!

No comments: